A heat wave is crashing down on my home sweet home Chicago for the next few days…and when I say heat I don’t mean that dry heat that all those Phoenix folks are always bragging about. I am talking about the humid wet blanket kind of heat that wraps itself around you and smothers you to death. Yes. It is that brutal. On the upside, as a long time resident of the nary-a-wind-in-sight city, I have found some frugal ways to keep cool whilst the city melts around me.
|Must be wicked hot outside….|
1. Go to the Library! Free fun for the whole famdamily…books, movies, CD’s, free wifi and internet, magazines, story times, and the list goes on. One of the best features of the Chicago Public Library system is their museum passes. You check them out like a book and they give you free entrance to local museums provided you have at least one child under 18 with you. More info on the link provided above. Which brings me to #2…
|Come visit me!|
2. Museums – We have so many great museums in Chicago. Of course, I have been to most many times over but there is always something new to see or do. My favorite of the locals are:
- The Museum of Science and Industry (they have a wall of babies, seriously)
- Chicago History Museum (I love the Chicago fire diorama)
- The Art Institute (Picasso’s The Old Guitarist from his blue period is a real treat!).
|Also not me… 🙂|
4. Netflix and chill…literally…turn on the AC. Haha – yes, this one is quite obvious to most, however, to my frugal self it is something I rarely do! You can really adapt to most weather if you’re willing to be uncomfortable for a short time. I love fresh air so having the windows open is important to me. Bubba, on the other hand, loves to wear her fur coat year round…even in the house! I’ve tried to get her to take it off but she is quite insistent and therefore we have had to come to an agreement. Once the thermostat on the wall says 80 we close the windows and through the AC on.
5. Catch up on the 40+ pending posts you have started and not finished… Oh, wait, that last one was for me! I will definitely be busy in the next few days building content for my spankin’ new blog. I hope you enjoy what I come up with and feel free to throw any ideas my way! I can add them to my soon to be shorter list… 🙂
AND – Things NOT to do when it’s blazing hot outside…
Go to the Mall. Seriously? Don’t do this. You will spend money you don’t have on shit you don’t need and be none the better for it. If you have an abundance of cash you are looking to blow might I suggest you take your self down to the nearest grocery store, buy a slew of Popsicles, a bag of ice, and a rolling cooler, and roll that puppy down the street handing them out as you go. If that sounds like too much trouble, try one of these:
- head to a shelter and help pass out food to the homeless.
- Donate an AC unit to a family in need.
- Volunteer to walk a dog at a shelter.
There are so many better ways to spend your time and money than a day at the mall.
** So, what are you up to this week? Dodging any weather bullets like I am? Have any tips for the hottsy’s (that’s a new term I am coining for the hottest days of the year)? Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you’re up to! 🙂 **