Happy 2019!! Today is the day that many people will hold themselves accountable for past resolutions gone wrong or future resolutions to begin anew. According to THIS post by INC., the top 10 New Years resolutions people commit to are as follows:
1. Diet or eat healthier
2. Exercise more
3. Lose weight
4. Save more and spend less
5. Learn a new skill or hobby
6. Quit smoking
7. Read more
8. Find another job
9. Drink less alcohol
10. Spend more time with family and friends
Like most people, I start every new year with grand illusions that I will live a healthier life in the 365 days to come. One year I started with my apple a day challenge. The daily part lasted a few months until I skipped a few days and never got back on track again. Even though I didn’t make it the whole year, I continue to eat apples more regularly than I did before. That’s something, right? Last year I decided to hit the gym more often – I didn’t set a daily or weekly goal which most likely added to the lack of accountability factor that made me never once hit the gym (minus the few times I used Planet Fitness for showers during my road trip) until October…a full 10 months after committing to more gym time.
This year I am getting back to my challenge from 2016 – walk 10,000 steps a day. And THIS time it is going to be different. Because I am not doing it alone. I now have accountabilibuddies!!
A few weeks back, Mrs. 1500 (aka Mindy Jensen of Bigger Pockets fame) tweeted about wanting to get in better shape this year. I immediately messaged her to invite her to a friendly challenge…10k a day or 70k a week. She immediately accepted. But then I got to thinking, the idea of a healthier body may not be enough to keep us on track. It should be, don’t get me wrong. But I like to gamify things that help to make them more fun for myself. Or, in this case, punish me for not following through. So what about adding another facet to this challenge? A financial one. You see, we both like money and we both hate to lose it. So I upped the ante -> every week we don’t hit our number, we pay $5 into a pot to be divvied up later. Again, she accepted. And on a recent visit to LA, I met with Waffles on Wednesday and told them of our plan and now Mrs. WoW has officially joined the challenge as well. But making it between the three of us seems silly so we are seeking 7 others to join our team of 10.
Interested in joining?? Here are the official rules:
- 70k steps a week
- Fitbit or Apple tracking app
- Weekly screenshots on Sunday nights to provide proof (we trust nobody ;))
- Any week under 70k, you must pay $5 into the pot via Paypal or Venmo
- NO EXCUSES AND NO CHEATING!! You’re only cheating yourself. ❤
The most money you can lose at the end of this challenge is $260. If you can’t afford to lose that amount of dough, either don’t apply or make sure to walk your 70k a week. 😉 On the flip side, if we all suck and you don’t, the most you can win is $2340! But this isn’t really about the money, is it? No. The money is purely an added incentive. This is about being part of something. It’s about keeping each other motivated and accountable. It’s about bettering ourselves and helping to better each other.
Fine. But What About the Money???
I created a Google spreadsheet that all team members will have access to. On it, I will be tracking each member’s weekly step count, who missed the goal, and the total amount of the pot to date. At the end of the year, the pot will be split between the following categories:
- 50% of the pot goes to the person with the most steps for the year
- 25% of the pot goes to the person with the second most steps of the year
- 25% of the pot goes to the person who has the most “no-pay” weeks (split should there be a tie)
A couple of notes:
- Please only sign up if this challenge if it is a CHALLENGE for you. Again, it isn’t about the money. We want to encourage people who don’t normally get up and out to get up and out! We want to motivate the unmotivated. If 70k steps a week isn’t a challenge, then this isn’t the challenge for you.
- Only sign up if you have access to PayPal or Venmo and are willing to make the $5 deposits into the account should you miss the 70k goal. We are all adults and I am not interested in tracking you down for your money! The reason we aren’t doing a tally and paying at the end is to keep us motivated to do better each week. If you let one week slide and then another without an actual physical, mental, or in this case, financial consequence, it is very easy to get off track and not get back on. When you are making those payments weekly, it will become a sticking point and hopefully motivate you to do better the next week.
- If you don’t pay by the next Sunday, I will come to your house and make you walk naked through the streets shouting “I don’t pay my debts and have no interest in bettering myself or being a good accountabilibuddy.” Just kidding. Kind of.
- If you don’t pay by the next check-in more than 2 times, any money of yours already in the pot will stay there and you will be out of the challenge. Again, please do not accept this challenge and take up a spot if you are not willing to follow through.
That’s it! If you’re interested in joining leave a comment here or on the challenge post on Twitter. First 7 to respond are in…BE SURE TO READ THROUGH ALL OF THE RULES BEFORE COMMITTING!! The challenge starts TODAY so get out and get stepping! If we have more interest than our team has room for, I am happy to share the spreadsheet if anyone else wants to be a team leader. Also, if you are on Twitter, expect to get random tweets such as this…
We are all about the shout out!! 🙂 FYI – it is the first day of the new year and Mrs. 1500 has already run a 5k. She’s not the only one who is raring to go – Mrs. WoW has been texting me random check-ins leading up to this challenge…
And just like that, the accountabilibuddy system is working its magic already!! Despite the 8 degree weather and reeeaaalllyyy wanting to stay home, this morning I hit the gym…
I have some steps to go but as of 2pm I am off to a good start. Are you ready to get up and get out?? LET”S DO THIS!!! FYI – only 3 spots left!! Will one be yours??
**If a step challenge isn’t your cup of tea, what are you working on this year? My other challenges include read more, work smarter, and bitch less. Oh, and maybe I will eat a few more apples. 😉 **
Until next time…