I was listening to a Mad Fientist episode the other day and was thrilled to hear the guest, Chris Hutchins, speaking about a habit I too have formed for myself over the years. He was saying that each month he does one thing significant so he can look back on his life and know that he made the best of it. He can pinpoint exactly what he was doing at the time – whether it be learning a new task, breaking a bad habit, or volunteering on a project. I too have adopted this idea throughout the years, I just never wrote it down…until last year.
At the start of 2017 I took a normal size calendar ($1 at Dollar Tree), cut all the months apart, and pinned them to our bedroom wall (very romantic – in hindsight the kitchen would have been better) – 3 across, 4 down. In a few minutes, I had a giant wall size calendar to keep track of our crazy lives. My work trips, my boyfriends (John) work trips, Dr appointments for us and the boys, birthdays, anniversaries, sleepover’s (for the kids, not us), vacations, dog walkers – everything went on the calendar. Important things were highlighted and slowly, one by one, the days were crossed off. This method made it super easy to see everything at a glance and make sure I was accomplishing all of the things that I had set out to do.
I won’t bore you with the details, but a few of my highlights from 2017 are as follows:
- Multiple meetups hosted by yours truly via the Rockstar Finance Forum – heck, I even crashed one in MSP!
- Travels abroad to Cuba, Budapest, and Prague
- The almost purchase of a caboose (more on that soon)
- Community-based events like Camp Mustache, Lola Retreat, and FinCon
- More charitable donations than ever before including Houston Food Bank, Red Cross, Ronald McDonald House and PAWS (you know I can’t forget the pups!).
- A last-minute opportunity to attend Tony Robbins’ seminar Unleash the Power Within (UPW)… (also, more on that soon!)
- And taking my mom on a day trip to NY to do a crown tour of the Statue of Liberty
I also had the opportunity to meet several friends during overnights from work. Anyone care to guess who is responsible for this madness?? Continue reading “2017 – That’s a Wrap!”